Tuesday 1 March 2016

Rochor Centre Sketchmeet

Last weekend was the February Sketchmeet of Urban Sketchers Singapore. The group met to sketch at Rochor Centre. 

Built in 1977 this commercial and residential estate has 4 colourful blocks which have become iconic structures of public housing. Rochor Centre will be demolished in 2016 to make way for an expressway. The price we pay for progress. 

I arrived late and took awhile to settle on a place to sketch from so I only had one and a half hours to do my sketch and add colour. Accurate renditions of complex buildings is just not my cup of tea so I chose to do a gestural set-up with watercolour pencil (ala Liz Steel) followed by watercolour and lastly pen. Even then those colourful apartment blocks were a challenge to draw.





When I went to pick up my sketchbook from the floor after Show and Tell (I was almost the last to do so) I saw a lady walking away with my sketchbook and starting to look through it. When I rushed over, tapped her on the shoulder and said "it's mine" she looked really surprised! I can’t believe how lucky I was to have been in time to get it back! 

Moral of the story - do not be slow picking up your sketchbook!!! 

Here is the group photo at Show and Tell at the end of the 3 hour session. (Photo by Patrick Ng). 




Thanks again to Teoh Yi Chie (aka Parka Blogs) who made a video of the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bQMZLVNLy4

#LamyPens, #DeArtramentisBrownInk, watercolour pencils, #HandbookJournal (watercolour) 5.25”x8.25”. #USkSg #UrbanSketchers #RochorCentre

No comments:

Post a Comment