Sunday 18 September 2016

More Melbourne Sketches

With all the interesting buildings in Melbourne and the relatively mild winter there’s been no excuse not to sketch whenever we’ve been out.  I carry my trusty Handbook Journal and brown ink pens with me all the time. Here are a few done in the past three weeks. As I'm the photographer, that's always my spouse in the photos (he's recently been introduced to urban sketching, in fact any sort of drawing).

This art deco block of apartments in South Yarra was built in the 1930's. Sketched on a very warm winter’s day.




I particularly like this one of a train as it crosses the Yarra River. (I happen to like trains).



You could say it's a rite of passage for an Urban Sketcher in Melbourne to sketch Flinders Street Station. 43 years ago I caught the train from Box Hill to Flinders Street everyday and then the tram up Swanston St to work. I'll come back another day with my bigger sketch book and paints.




This next building was a challenge to sketch. Opened in 1929 The Forum had the largest seating capacity of any cinema in Australia. 



Presently a venue for film and concerts, sketching it's minarets and Moorish Revival exterior gave me a headache. I took some liberties with spacial placement.



#TombowMarker,  #LamyPen, #HandbookJournal 5.5"x5.5"

No comments:

Post a Comment